Soaking time: 30 minutes
Serves: 6-9 people
1. Soak urad dal for minimum of 30 minutes.
2. Wash, drain all of the water.
3. Grind into a smooth paste using as little water as you can to get a thick batter.
Ideally, a wet grinder should give you super fluffy batter to make soft gharyos. If for any reason you can't use it, grind the batter in a mixer. In both cases you as little water as you can.
The thicker the batter, the better it is. Gharyo otherwise become oily, absorbing in oil while they are deep fried if the batter is not thick. We call it gatti peet in Konkani.
4. Add turmeric powder + cumin seeds + salt to the batter & mix well.
Grinding the batter a few hours earlier is fine, but after adding salt to the batter, you'll have to deep fry it immediately.
5. Add wheat rava/semolina (sooji rava) & mix well so that they're crispy.
6. Heat oil, deep fry small dollops of batter on medium heat.
To prevent batter from sticking to your fingers & so that they drop off easily off your fingers, dip your fingers in water between few drops of batter.