An age old snack: fried pumpkin seeds. :-)
Have never tried them? Then you have to. You'll need 5 minutes, little salt and oil. That's about it. You'll absolutely love eating them. :-)
This snack brings back memories from my childhood. Pumpkin seeds are shallow fried and had as a snack from ages. On shallow frying mature pumpkin seeds, they puff up, turn out crispy, crunchy and taste amazing.
While you're shallow frying the pumpkin seeds with oil, your house fills up with an amazing smell that's enticing. All you need to do is fry the mature pumpkin seeds for 3 minutes in little oil, sprinkle some salt and enjoy them hot!
These fried pumpkin seeds are called 'bhajil dudde bee' in Konkani. Bhajil means fried in Konkani, dudde bee means pumkin seeds.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
1. Deseed the pumpkin and collect all the seeds.
2. Heat a wok, add in oil. Once the oil's hot, add in pumpkin seeds and fry them on high heat for 3 minutes.
3. Saute continuously so that all the pumpkin seeds fry up uniformly.
4. When the pumpkin seeds start to brown, add in salt and saute them for one more minute.
5. When all the pumpkin seeds have puffed up and have turned light brown, remove them off heat.
6. Eat them while they are still hot. That's when these shallow fried pumpkin seeds are crispy, crunchy and are a pleasure to eat.
7. Once the pumpkin seeds start to cool, they flatten out again and lose their crunch. They aren't a pleasure to eat then.
Side Note: Sprinkle some red chilli powder on top of the fried seeds in the end for some spice, if you like.
Here are some modern ways to enjoy pumpkin seeds as a snack.
Tags: Konkani cuisine, Konkani food, Konkani recipe, Udupi cuisine, Mangalore food, pumpkin seeds, dudde bee, snack.