Pumpkin is super nutritious. I don’t need any other reason to include them in my diet. :-) I usually make pumpkin soup and pumpkin idlis, two of our favourites at home.
Here’s a simple recipe for a hearty pumpkin soup. It’s filling, satisfying, flavourful and so good for you! Perfect for a nutritious weeknight dinner. It's delicious, savoury, creamy without using any cream. ;-) Enjoy a bowl of this steaming hot soup & thank me later. :)
- 2 cups of cubed pumpkin
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 medium sized onion
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- Freshly crushed pepper
- Salt to taste
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Peel and deseed the pumpkin.
- Chop it roughly into tiny cubes.
- Heat oil in a wok, add in peeled, finely chopped garlic and let it sizzle for a minute.
- Before the garlic starts to brown, add in peeled, finely chopped onion and saute them until they become translucent.
- Add in cubed pumpkin, salt, 1.5 cups of water and cook closed until the pumpkin’s soft and done.
- Let it cool completely and then blend using a blender.
- Transfer the pumpkin puree into a cooking vessel. Add in salt, coriander powder, cumin powder, crushed pepper and mix well.
- Add about 1/2 - 1 cup of water depending on the thickness of the soup you desire and mix well.
- Bring the soup to boil and then let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve the soup steaming hot and enjoy. For added taste serve it with some crispy garlic bread.
Side Note: You can add some cream if you want to, but I avoid them for the extra calories. And when the soup's super creamy without cream then what's the point?
You can turn pumpkin seeds into a delicious snack, instead of throwing them away. Give it a try.
Other soups you may like:
Celery Tomato Carrot Soup - Slimming Soup
Tags: soups, duddi, dudde, pumpkin, rainy day, nutrition, healthy, nutritious, recipe