How are you keeping yourself & your body cool this summer? Birind a.k.a kokum is known to have cooling effects on our body. I'm sure you know that.
What have been making with kokum?
Here's a super easy, super quick kokum saaru recipe. It's tangy, spicy, sweet & delicious. Serve it piping hot with steaming hot rice & it'll be the best comfort food you can make so easily & quickly.
1. Soak dried kokum peel for good 1-2 hours.
2. Pour the water it has given out & the peels into a cooking vessel.
3. Add slit green chillies, salt, jaggery to it & bring it to boil.
4. Check and adjust salt, jaggery, green chillies.
If kokum is too tangy then remove the peels out. If they aren't very tangy leave kokum peels in the cooking vessel.
5. Simmer until the flavours combine well.
6. Put off flame & season it.
7. Seasoning: in a tempering pan heat oil, add in mustard seeds. When they start popping add in smashed peeled/unpeeled garlic cloves, dried red chillies pieces, curry leaves. Let them splutter until garlic starts to brown.
8. Add seasoning to the saaru & mix well.
9. Serve hot with steaming hot rice.
P. S: You can season it with just garlic or mustard seeds. Or combine both together for an added punch.