This delicious fresh gooseberry recipe is for times when you need to fix something for a meal in under 5 minutes. Steaming hot rice & this saaru make for a heavenly combo, I bet you'll eat a bowl full of rice with it.
This gooseberry saaru is super delicious & super nutritious from gooseberries & coriander leaves used. You can laze around all day & make it easily, quickly 5 minutes before lunch/dinner. Perfect for a busy weekday meal. You just need fresh gooseberries & coriander leaves.
Whenever mom had to go out or had to fix something for a meal super quick she got out brined gooseberries bottle (mitta ghalel avalo) from the dark room (her kalka kood) where pickled veggies & fruits, pickles were stored in the house. In under 5 minutes she had a delicious gooseberry saaru/avale thoy ready. So, to make this avale saaru both fresh & pickled gooseberries can be used. To pickle fresh gooseberries & to make saaru with it recipe is here. For fresh gooseberry rasam follow the recipe below.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 3-4 minutes
1. Wash gooseberries, Roughly chop them.
2. Fry them using few drops of oil in a tempering pan until they change in colour from dark green to pale green. They should take under a minute. Saute at intervals please.
3. Grind them along with fresh coriander, green chillies & salt into a smooth paste using as much water as you need.
4. Transfer the ground paste into a cooking vessel. Add enough water to make a watery saaru. It will thicken considerably on cooking & on cooling down. So keep it watery in consistency to begin with.
5. Add salt & bring it to boil. Then simmer for 2 minutes on medium heat until rawness of coriander leaves fade off. Remove it off heat.
6. Tempering: Heat oil in a tempering pan, add in slightly crushed garlic. Fry them until they turn golden brown. Add this tempering to the saaru & mix well.
Peeled or unpeeled garlic, your choice.
7. Serve hot with steaming hot rice & enjoy.
P.S: Keep the saaru a little on the spicy side & enjoy.
More gooseberry recipes you might enjoy:
Watch it's making here: