Want to make mundane veggies taste amazing? Pan fry them. But my Mil & her mom had a secret ingredient to make boring veggies taste amaze balls amazing. That secret ingredient wasn't just love. It is a powder used to coat veggies with to pan fry them. Makes any veggie taste awesome. It's a little process with work involved. But you can store the powder for more than a year & use it as many times as you wish. We used them daily & call it phodi pitti in Konkani.
All you have to do is add salt to veggies. Allow them to rest for 2-3 minutes so that they take up salt. Coat them with this powder & pan fry them using oil.
1. Dry roast dried red chillies for few minutes until they crisp up. Dry roast them. Let them cool down.
2. Dry roast rice grains for few minutes so that they powder easily. Let them cool down too.
3. Dry roast cumin seeds for few minutes or until they spurt out. Transfer them onto a plate, they have to cool down too.
4. Dry roast urad dal until they start to just brown. We are frying them so that they powder well & powder easily. Transfer them onto another plate & let them come to room temperature.
5. Dry roast coriander seeds until they start popping. Transfer them onto a plate to cool down.
6. Once they all cool down properly powder them all in a mixie.
7. Powder them all separately. Powder everything fine, except rice grains. Keep rice grains tiny in size, size of wheat semolina (sooji rava) or little bigger than them. Your choice. The size of rice rava will determine how your phodis taste & determines their texture.
Smaller rice rava will make lots of this spicy powder to stick to your veggies. Little bigger rice rava will give you little crunchy textured phodis. Both ways they taste yum. But we all always preferred the crunchy textured phodis with just a little bigger sized rice rava.
8. Mix all powdered ingredients well, let them cool down completely. Add salt to them if needed. Store them in air tight containers.
9. While you make phodi transfer a little powder into a bowl. Add salt if needed to them. Coat salted veggies of your choice with the powder, pan fry them and enjoy!
Tags: Today's recipe, phodi, pan fried, phodis