Years ago during our tea time I wondered what did my grandparents have as their tea snack during their days. They didn’t have biscuits, cookies, cup cakes, cakes back then. I asked my granny and she listed out tea time snacks of their time for me.
Essentially all of them are healthy snacks. Majority of them are protein rich, healthy pulses turned into a delicious snack. And they’re easy to make, quick dishes involving very little prep. Thanks to cookies, biscuits and chips, most of these snacks have been forgotten as tea time snacks.
One such age old tea time snack from my grandparents time is this sweet potato stir fry. Called as kanga upakari in Konkani. Do you still make them as a tea time snack? I’m curious to know how many of us still do.
Sweet potato stir fry is spicy, sweet and is absolutely delish. It's so 🤤. I loveee it extra sweet. You can make it extra 🔥🔥 & sweet 😋😘 or just 🔥 or just sweet, any which way you like. 💥 Sweet potatoes for good for us. It is highy nutritious.
Kanga upakari was usually served for evening tea with spicy, seasoned beaten rice called as teek phovu/kalel phovu in Konkani. But I love mushy seasoned sweet potatoes on their own. This sweet-spicy sweet potato dish is an absolute delight to your taste buds. When you eat it with spicy, sweet, seasoned beaten rice (teek phovu/kalel phovu) then there'll be a myriad of flavours and tastes in your mouth with every bite of the two together. 🥰
Without much prep involved this healthy snack gets ready real quick to satiate your hunger pangs and taste buds. My neighbour's no fail recipe below for you. 😘 It turns out perfectly 😋😋😍🤩
P.S: those pieces with jaggery holding onto them tightly are the ones that make you wanna dance. 🥰🥰😍🤩
Preparation Time: 20-25 minutes
Use freshly bought sweet potatoes to ensure easily. perfectly cooked sweet potatoes.
1. Peel, cube sweet potato and keep it aside in a bowl of water. Water helps prevent sweet potato from oxidizing and turning black.
Chop them into uniform cubes to ensure uniform cooking. Smaller the cubes easily, faster they cook.
2. Heat a pan, add in oil, mustard seeds. When mustard seeds start popping, add in urad dal and fry them until they start to brown.
3. Then add in dried red chillies pieces, slit green chillies, curry leaves, asafoetida powder, turmeric powder and let them sizzle for few seconds.
4. Then add in peeled, finely chopped onions & saute for 1-2 minutes until they turn translucent.
5. Then add diced sweet potatoes, jaggery, salt, 2 tablespoons of water. Mix well. Cook closed on a medium flame.
6. Add water whenever needed 2-3 tablespoons at a time in between. Saute a few times in between so that they don't stick to the pan or burn.
Use water formed through steam, water that goes in while adding sweet potato pieces into the pan to cook them through. All that water helps them cook through.
5. Once sweet potatoes are cooked through and are soft, add in grated coconut, mix well and remove it off heat.
How do you know if sweet potatoes are cooked through? When a spoon or fork tip passes through it effortlessly.
P.S: If you're using a lot of jaggery powder like I do then add half while cooking sweet potatoes, rest in the end along with grated coconut. Why? It'll help prevent jaggery from sticking to the bottom of your pan. If you add jaggery powder in the end make sure you mix, cook it for a minute on low heat, put off flame, keep it covered for a minute so that the sweetness gets through into the sweet potato pieces.
1. Serve sweet potato stir fry (kanga upakari) hot as a snack or as a tea time snack. You can make them soft and mushy if you wish. I love them that way. All you need to do is overcook them a tad more to get a mushy sweet potato dish.
2. Serve sweet potato stir fry (kanga upakari) hot as a tea time snack along with spicy, seasoned beaten rice called as teek phovu/kalel phovu in Konkani.
Watch it's making here:
Tags: sweet potato, kanang, kanga upakari, upakari, stir fry, tea time snack, traditional snack, Konkani food, Konkani recipe, Konkani cuisine, GSB Konkani recipe, vegan, vegetarian recipe, South Canara Konkani recipe, Konkani cooking, GSB Konkani cuisine.