A simple deliciousss dal you can make when you are bored of dalithoy (if that ever happens). All you need for a comforting comforting meal is this dal with steaming hot rice. A spicy pickle on the side would just be bonus. 🤤
Dal tomato saaru is actually dalithoy's cousin with very few differences.
1. Wash & finely chop tomatoes.
2. Pressure cook it with toor dal using enough water after giving toor dal a good wash. I soak toor dal a few hours ahead to fasten it's cooking time.
3. Once they're cooked well enough (3-4 whistles) transfer them into a cooking vessel. Add water to it to bring it to almost watery consistency. It'll thicken on cooking and further thicken on cooling down.
3. Add salt & slit green chillies. Bring it to boil.
4. Let it simmer for few minutes so that green chillies give out their spice, water & dal combines well enough.
5. Put off the flame. Add finely chopped fresh coriander.
6. Then season it. To season add ghee into a tempering pan. Add mustard seeds. Once they start popping add in dried red chilli pieces, curry leaves, asafoetida powder. Add this seasoning to the dal.
7. Serve it piping hot with steaming hot rice.