My mom never bought these lovely veggies!! Never in my life did I actually eat them, notice them or appreciate them. MasterchefAU 2016 made me wanna try them. And right during that time Chitra Krishnand shared this recipe on Instagram. I tried it immediately & fell in love with these veggies & this simple dish. Kohlrabi either soft or a little crunchy on cooking are delicious.
Sharing this simple recipe with you. Kohlrabi is high in Vitamin C, dietary fibre & other minerals. It is highly nutritious & this is one easy way to include them in your diet.
This healthy kohlrabi stir fry is called navilkos upakari in Konkani.
Use tender kohlrabis to make this stir fry. You know kohlrabis are tender by pressing your nails into its skin. If it gives in easily, it's tender.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 5-10 minutes
How to pick tender kohlrabi:
Press your fingernail into the kohlrabi & how easily it goes in is the best way to decide how tender they are.
1. Peel & cube kohlrabi.
2. Add oil into a wok. Heat it up. Add mustard seeds.
3. Once they stop spluttering, add urad dal. Fry them until they start to brown.
4. Then add pieces of dried red chilli, curry leaves, turmeric powder & let them sizzle for few seconds.
5. Add in cubed kohlrabi, salt, 1/2 cup of water & cook them closed until they are well cooked.
6. Check & adjust salt. Add more water if needed in between.
7. Add grated coconut on top & mix well.
8. Serve hot as a side dish for lunch, dinner.
Tags: Upakari, healthy, upkari, stir fry