Capsicum Vermicelli (Capsicum Shavigebath/Semiya)
Love capsicums? Love spicy, tangy, sweet all in one bite? 🤤Then this delicious recipe is perfect for you. You can serve it for breakfast or for tea time or for lunch or dinner. Cuz it's so healthy & nutritious & deliciousss. If you wanna indulge yourself eat it with some ketchup & you'll fall in love with it. And if you are anything like me who avoids ketchup then you won't need the ketchup cuz it's so yum by itself.
My Mil's recipe. One of our favourites. 🤩 Recipe below for you. Wanna see it's making, here's it's videos for you.
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
- Heat up 2 cups of water. Once it comes to boil, add in vermicelli and cook it for a minute or two. Keep them Al-dente (slightly undercooked). Or cook them according to the instructions on the packet.
- Strain out all the water, transfer all the vermicelli onto a plate and spread them out evenly, so that it cools down and the strands don’t stick to each other.
- Chop capsicums into thin long strips. Heat 2-3 tablespoons of oil in a wok, add in sliced capsicum, salt and saute them. (Salt fastens it’s cooking). Cook them closed until it’s half cooked, so that you get a nice crunch with every bite in the end. Occasionally saute them to prevent it from sticking to the pan.
- Chop onions into thin slices and fry them in another wok using 2-3 tablespoons of oil and salt to fasten it’s cooking. Saute occasionally to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Cook until it’s almost cooked and translucent.
- Transfer fried onions onto a plate. Add in finely chopped tomatoes into the wok. Fry them using salt until they sweat and start to form a paste. Then add in 1-2 tablespoons of oil to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Once tomato forms a nice paste, add about 1/4 cup of water and mix well.
- Then add in sambar powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder, slit green chillies, turmeric powder and mix them well.
- Let it cook for a minute to remove rawness of the powders. Then add in fried capsicum & onions and mix them well.
- Then add in cooked vermicelli and mix it well with other ingredients. Let it simmer for a minute or two so that it takes up all the flavours.
- Serve hot as-is or with tomato ketchup.
Tags: breakfast, tea time snack, vermicelli, rice semiya, shavige, shavigebath, rice vermicelli, shevai, capsicum, tomatoes