Cabbage upakari is cabbage stir fry. Upakari's are side dishes prepared using any vegetable and are part of everyday meal at most konkani households.
For people who love cabbage, like me, this is a easy to prepare recipe, that gets ready in very less time. Prepare it for lunch/dinner as a side dish and enjoy.
2 cups of chopped cabbage
1 dried red chilli cut into pieces
2 green chillies slit into halves
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
2 tablespoons of oil
1 leaflet of curry leaves
1 teaspoon urad dal
1 tablespoon of grated coconut
Salt to taste
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Method of preparation:
1. Finely chop cabbage, wash it well and keep it aside.
2. In a wok heat oil, add mustard seeds and when they splutter add in urad dal and fry until it starts to brown. Then add in slit green chillies, red chilli broken into pieces and curry leaves. Fry them for a minute or two.
3. Then add chopped cabbage and salt and mix well.
4. Cook closed with half cup of water until cabbage is cooked through.
5. Add in more water in between if the cabbage isn't cooked through and all the water has evaporated. Do not add excess water as we need a dry stir fry.
6. When the cabbage is cooked completely add grated coconut and mix well. Remove off heat and serve hot with rice and dalithoy.
Find more Konkani cuisine side dishes here.
Tags: Cabbage, vegetarian, upakari, konkani food, spicy, side dish, lunch, easy to prepare, stir fry, Konkani recipe, Konkani dish, Konkani cuisine, Udupi cuisine, Mangalore food, Konkani food, bachelor recipe.