Ambat is a classic Konkani dish, wherein cooked toor daal forms the base to the coconut gravy. Cabbage and onions are a match made in heaven. My MIL prepared this amazing ambat with cabbage and onions in a coconut curry along with toor dal. Crunchy & soft bits of cabbage in a delicious coconut gravy flavoured by onions. The curry was then seasoned to make it taste & smell all the more deliciousssss.
Funny I never had any ambat until I got married. Except for vali ambat maybe. Cabbage onion ambat was love at first bite. When served piping hot with steaming hot rice it's so so so comforting.
2.5 cups of chopped cabbage - 1/2 medium sized cabbage
2 medium sized onions
1/2 to 3/4th cup toor dal/split yellow lentils
3/4th cup grated coconut
1 lemon sized tamarind
6 dried red chillies
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons of oil
2 leaflets of curry leaves
1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Method of preparation:
1. Pressure cook toor dal/lentils using 1 cup of water until they are soft and mushy.
2. Chop cabbage finely and give it a good wash. Peel and chop onions roughly.
3. Boil cabbage and onions together with salt until they are almost done and keep aside.
Method to prepare the masala:
4. Fry red chillies for a minute with few drops of oil. Let them cool completely.
5. Grind them with tamarind, grated coconut and salt into a smooth paste.
6. Add boiled toor dal into the cooking vessel with cooked cabbage and onions. Add ground masala also into the cooking vessel.
7. Add enough water to give you medium thick consistency that of a gravy and bring it to boil. This curry is usually medium thick in consistency in the end. It'll thicken on cooking & further on cooling. So keep it a little watery to begin with.
8. Check and adjust salt. Simmer until the cabbage is well cooked and the rawness of the masala goes off. Remove off heat and season it.
Heat oil in a tempering pan and add mustard seeds. When they start popping, add in curry leaves and fry them for a minute. Pour the seasoning to the curry and mix well.
Serve hot with a bowl of steaming hot rice.
Find more Konkani cuisine curry recipes here.
Tags: Spicy, gravy, ambat, vegetarian, lunch, dinner, daal, curry, Konkani recipe, Konkani dish, Konkani cuisine, Udupi cuisine, Mangalore food, Konkani food.