In and around Mangalore you'll find this variety of black lentil abundantly. They have a taste of their own. And make deliciousss saaru, saaru upakari.
Steaming hot rice + this saaru who's taste is elevated by the garlic seasoning makes for the most comforting meal. Also a very simple, easy to put together meal that's so nutritious.
1. Soak black moong lentil in water a few hours before you want to cook them. They cook faster when soaked. 7-8 hours of soaking & 1-2 whistles in pressure cooker should be enough to make them soft.
They considerably increase in volume on soaking. So 1 cup should serve 2-4.
If you want to make them instantly & forgot to soak them add them to hot water for 10 minutes or how much ever time you have.
2. Pressure cook them along with slit green chillies & water until they're cooked through.
3. Transfer cooked beans into a cooking vessel along with the water used to cook them.
4. Add salt. Add water if needed. This saaru is of watery consistency. And bring it to boil.
Do not add salt until the lentils cook through as it inhibits cooking of lentils.
5. Once the saaru comes to a boil simmer for few minutes so that all the ingredients combine well together. Then remove it off heat.
6. Season it: heat oil in a tempering pan. Add in smashed garlic cloves & fry them until they start to brown. Add pieces of dried red chillies & let them sizzle for few seconds. Add this seasoning to the saaru & mix well.
7. Serve hot with steaming hot rice. And enjoy.